Saturday, January 15, 2011

"A bend in the road is not the end of the road, unless you fail to make the turn"

It seems like every year, something stands in the way of my perfect plans for a perfect season. My own illness, a dog with puppies....I feel like I've got all kinds of things working against me in this sport. Sometimes I just want to give up.

Lately, it's been sick puppies (and the expense of helping them recover) standing in the way.

First Etta.


Etta's favorite place to perch since she was sick is on top of Chris

Now, Thursday evening, Brubeck began wheezing exactly like Etta did.


Brubeck resting

Both puppies have the same symptoms: wheezing that became progressively worse, followed by retracting of the rib cage in an increasingly difficult struggle for air. Both puppies have pulmonary edema - fluid surrounding the lungs. Both puppies responded well to shots of Lasix to pull the fluid out of the respiratory airways and a heavy course of Amoxicillin.

But it takes time.

Luckily, my vet knows me well enough to trust me with two shots of Lasix which I've given to Brubeck throughout this weekend.

I hope no other pups come down with this...whatever it is.


Da Boys: (from left) Parker, Thelonious, Miles and Brubeck

And that's the frustrating thing: we don't know if this is a virus or some kind of congenital thing.

Sometimes it's difficult in the face of mounting vet bills to not think of giving up. Selling out.

But last evening, I free ran the dogs with the four wheeler (over snow) and delighted in watching them run. Nothing thrills me like watching my dogs open up, all legs and lungs, running full throttle. And nothing ever will.


Aspen (right wheel) back in harness for the first time since the November 17 birth of her pups

Today, Sophie and I went out with a couple teams. Sophie has been training with me regularly, and she is making me proud.

There is nothing like watching your child transform from "child" into "musher" - nothing like doing the thing you love with your child, and watching them love it too.


Sophie running my yearling, Kerouac (left) and two year old, Big Brown (right)


Sophie setting her snow hook like a pro

Sophie said to me the other day when we were running teams

"Mom, I'm so glad I have a mom like you who does cool stuff like this!"

And, I am so thankful I have a cool, colorful daughter like you, my Sophie Queen.



Until next time, keep on mushing on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments - I always love reading them! namaste!