Monday, June 30, 2008

My Heart's In the Highland: From an Airport in California

"My heart's in the Highlands gentle and fair/ Honeysuckle blooming in the wildwood air/ Bluebelles blazing, where the Aberdeen waters flow/ Well, my heart's in the Highland, I'm gonna go there when I feel good enough to go. ...Woke up this morning and I looked at the same old page/ Same ol' rat race/ Life in the same ol' cage....Well my heart's in the Highlands wherever I roam/ That's where I'll be when I get called home/ The wind, it whispers to the buckeyed trees in rhyme/ Well, my heart's in the Highlands/ I can only get there one step at a time…."My heart's in the Highlands gentle and fair/ Honeysuckle blooming in the wildwood air/ Bluebelles blazing, where the Aberdeen waters flow/ Well, my heart's in the Highland, I'm gonna go there when I feel good enough to go. ...Woke up this morning and I looked at the same old page/ Same ol' rat race/ Life in the same ol' cage....Well my heart's in the Highlands wherever I roam/ That's where I'll be when I get called home/ The wind, it whispers to the buckeyed trees in rhyme/ Well, my heart's in the Highlands/ I can only get there one step at a time." - Bob Dylan

I sit in the terminal I emerged from four days ago expectant and hopeful. Now, though, I sit with a heavy heart.

But, I have that old wanderlust again. No where is home to me because I feel like I could live anywhere. Other people long for what I have: the job, the car, the house and stability. But for me, that's the last thing I ever wanted.

Movement is the impetus for all things good for me. Movement propels me forward in spirit, makes me happy, stirs my mind and creative juices. There's so much out there. Maybe I was nomadic in a past life. Navigating my way around the country many times, I have been fortunate and blessed by so many gracious people. I've done it cheaper than most, with luck and a gleam in my eye for whatever is around the next corner.

It could be this desert sprawled before me at the foothills of the San Bernardino mountains. It could be the Pacific Ocean. It could be the deciduous forests that surround my home, lush and green.

All I know is, staying still will be the death of me. And the last place I want to be is Cleveland, Ohio. I will get out. Where I'll land, I don't know. But I will get out.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post!
    I understand completely that Cleveland is the last place you want to be! Safe travels wherever you may go...
    :)

    Here are some random quotes from the mission statement Jerry Maguire (the movie). May seem strange, but actually some interesting stuff:

    "Even in my own life, after 35 years, I feel that I have never done that one thing, that noble thing that defines a life. Even writing this Mission Statement is odd for me. I am used to flying below the radar, enjoying my life and friends. But I have not been truly tested. I have not gone to India to explore my life, as my brother has. I have not been in a major car accident, or fathered a child. I have not created a life, nor have I killed anyone. I am neutral. I haven't started a war and I haven't stopped a war. I have broken even with my life. I have a nice home, a nice car... But I have not taken that step, or risk, that makes the air I have breathed for 35 years worthwhile. I once had a yellow couch. I got rid of it because it was neutral. My life is now like that yellow couch."

    "Every time you allow a problem in your life, you are actually at a point of transformation. Crisis is a powerful point of transformation."

    "Recently I was asked by the son of a client, in so many words, "What do you stand for?" I was lost for an answer. At 14, I wasn't lost for that answer. At 18, I wasn't lost for an answer. At 35, I was blown away that I had no answer. I could only look at the fade of a 12 year-old boy, concerned about his dad, needing my help, just looking at me for the answer I didn't have."

    "A life is not worth living if you are sleepwalking through it. Because that is what feels like death."

    "I have said "later" to most anything that required true sacrifice. Later I will spend a weekend reading real books, not just magazines. Later I will visit my grandmother who is 100 and unable to really know the difference. Later I will visit the clients whose careers are over, but of course I promised to stay in touch. Later later later later. It is too easy to say "later" because we all believe our work to be too important to stop, minute to minute, for something that might interfere with the restless and relentless pursuit of forward motion. Of greater success. Make no mistake, I am a huge fan of success. But tonight, I propose a better kind of success..."

    ~ Matt

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments - I always love reading them! namaste!