Sunday, January 1, 2012

"An artist's only concern is to shoot for some kind of perfection, and on his own terms, not anyone else's." J.D. Salinger

Resolutions can be dizzying.

We want things to change, to cast off that which is bothersome, cumbersome, or otherwise painful. We look at the mistakes we have made over the past year, and we resolve to do better as parents, employees, sons and daughters, spouses and friends. We promise ourselves we will get healthier, lose weight, save money, but,  our commitment to those promises is often lackluster.

Like the 80's U2 song says, "nothing changes on New Year's Day."

Tonight I am thinking hard about honest resolutions I can keep. I resolve to be true to myself. So often we get caught up in worrying about what others are doing, especially in competitive sports. But, I've always been secure in moving at my own pace, and I refuse to get caught up in comparing myself, my dogs or our runs to any others. I am not in dogs for that reason. We do what we can, and as long as my dogs are happy and healthy, I don't care where we place.

I resolve to have courage to face adversity - whether on the trail or in life.

I resolve to embrace the weather, no matter what the day brings: rain, snow, ice, sun, heat, humidity. I will try to be thankful for each day - although I struggle with the heat and humidity :)

I resolve to put my family first, including all two and four legged beings in my care.

And I resolve to continue to root for the underdog. I've always had a soft spot for the underdogs in life: those who manage to triumph against the odds, who find victory despite challenges and probable failure.

Happy New Year, and may you find peace and the courage to meet your resolutions for 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments - I always love reading them! namaste!