Wednesday, February 15, 2012

In 48 hours, I will embark on my first 100 mile dog race

Well, 90 miles, but who's counting. I'm sure the dogs won't care about 10 miles either way. And, last night, my cooker pot was born...

My cooker burning bright in all her blue flame, 400 degree glory

A cooker pot is what we mushers use to melt snow and boil water for making the dogs' soup: meat, kibble and water slopped together into a warm stew. It provides all the nutrients and hydration needed by canine athletes during their races. 



My handler, Ron (right) and friend Larry (left) measure out air vents for my cooker

In my mind, a cooker pot is a rite of passage for a distance musher.

Having a cooker pot means you're gonna be out there awhile with your dogs. It means you're about to set off on an adventure.

I can't believe in 48 hours, I will finally set off on this adventure. I can't wait! I spent the day prepping for the race, filling my sled bag with the necessary gear for our trek: compass, dog food, snowshoes, axe, first aid kit, cable cutters, survival kit....

One of my handlers, Ron, has never had a chance to sight see Michigan's eastern Upper Peninsula before, so we took some time out to visit Tahquamenon Falls State Park and the Tahquamenon Falls Brew Pub

The Falls is something no one should miss whose never visited this area.



Tahquamenon Falls
Ron and me at Tahquamenon Falls

After hiking around the Falls, we stopped in for a little pre-race celebratory dinner at the Brew Pub. I learned just how much my handler appreciates a good micro-brew.


Ron with two jugs of beer :)

It's been fun having Ron around and teaching him lots of things any musher should know, like how to make necklines...
    

 

And how to chop up venison for the dogs...

 


Tomorrow our mushers' meeting is at 4 p.m. in Marquette, MI; our vet check is the following morning, and we leave for the ceremonial start at 7 p.m. on Friday, February 17! We'll be mushing all night long, wrapping up about 11 a.m. Saturday morning. The next few days are going to be busy, but stay tuned and hang on!


1 comment:

  1. Make sure you read this before you take off. :p
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/philip-walters/don-bowers-200-memorial-sled-dog-race-january-2012/10150563874348864

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments - I always love reading them! namaste!