Saturday, January 20, 2007

Winter: Exhilarating and Serene

I hooked up the dogs this evening right at sunset. We only did about four miles, but the day was perfect: cold and exhilarating. The sky was blue with puffy clouds, and it was about 18 degrees. As dusk drew near, the sky turned orange, like a child-like God had wiped his hands clean on the sky after helping himself to some sherbet ice cream. My cheeks were flushed and I held on tight as we whipped around corners. At one point, we were going fast downhill and hit a bump and the whole cart was airborne for a second or two. I laughed out loud and the dogs smiled doggy smiles.

I stopped half way through to let them rest, and Mandy lie down in the snow while Jack ate some. Foxy pawed at me and I scratched her head. She looked at me with her brown eyes, content. Jack, however, lunged forward, tugging at the harness and yelping his monkey-sounding Husky yelp, saying loudly, "let's go!"

These animals are so equipped for harsh weather, and such amazing athletes. At not quite 10 months old, Jack is already an incredible wheel dog (although he wants to be up front), pulling the bulk of my 100 pound cart and me with relative ease.

How anyone could not like winter is unfathomable to me. Exhilarating, serene, beautiful winter. I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments - I always love reading them! namaste!