Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Selling out

Why is it necessary to give up so much of our individuality for a decent career? Who dictates ultimately what's "appropriate" and what's not?

I have a tiny jeweled 14 k gold stud on the right side of my nose. Even my 65 year old mother thinks it's classy and pretty. But I was written up for it at work a few weeks ago. My supervisor, who never had any interest in talking much to me before this, suddenly notices me because of this tiny piece of jewelry. I replaced it with a plastic stud made specifically for working people, and she still demanded I remove it. "You can still see it," she said, scrunching up her face squeamishly. Emphatically, she continued, "You're going into physician's offices."

"Are you suggesting physicians will respect me and what I have to bring them less because of a tiny piece of jewelry on my nose?"

Cut to the chase. What is this really about? One person's idea of what's appropriate not meeting another's; one person relying on the scapgoat of "policy" to keep their lives predictable and not force them to confront the fact that they're prejudice, simple-minded and lack diversity.

What's ironic is "cultural diversity" is the catch phrase in the corporate world these days. But God forbid we push the societal notions of acceptance and what's "normal" too far with a tiny piece of jewelry on someone's nose.

I have a little sign on my office door at work that says, "Gone Running Will return at" and there's a poseable clock wheel so you can change it to whatever time you will return. I use it when I go to the gym on my lunch hour to let people know when I'll be back. Now I'm told today by this same supervisor that she thinks it "sends the wrong message," and that I should "take it down."

What message is it sending? That I work in healthcare and care about my own health?

I give up. I cannot sell out to this entity. It asks me to give up too much of myself, what I am, enjoy, believe in. I am beginning to build up my freelance writing portfolio. If you know anyone who needs some freelance work, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments - I always love reading them! namaste!