Monday, October 29, 2007

To this day

It's through difficult people and experiences that I've learned what's important to me. Today, after writing a heartfelt e-mail to the COO of my company appealing for her to create a position for me instead of relying on grant-funding to keep my position, I felt strongly compelled to write some thoughts down.

Some of the biggest atrocities in human history happened because some person or persons were afraid to speak up. I have been called lots of things because I speak out about the things that I see as injustices: ballsy, brazen, bold, bitchy (how many other "b" words can I come up with?) But nothing worthwhile is every easy.

If there's three words I think encapsulate who I am, it's tenacious, passionate and persevering. And I am done apologizing for who I am. It's taken me 35 years to stop apologizing.

I believe in what I do, the words I say, the work I do, and the things I strive for.

I believe one person can make a difference: what direction that difference goes --- toward positive or negative -- is up to that person.

I believe in our abilities to change.

I believe if the glass is half full, we should drink up and enjoy this day.

Maybe some would say I'm naive. But this is who I am, and I believe I am not sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments - I always love reading them! namaste!