Friday, February 22, 2008

The Killing Moon


I went moon chasing tonight. And I found her, bathed in the red shadow of Earth, out in a field where the artificial light doesn't shine. It was cold – so cold I had to keep jumping back into my truck every five minutes to thaw out my fingers. Without my tripod handy, I had to take about 25 shots before getting this one.

2008 promises to be an unusual year. Not only is it leap year, there will be two total eclipses: one, the other night on February 21, and the other, a total solar eclipse, slated to occur on August 1.

Interesting facts about total lunar eclipse:
-- It can only occur during full moon and when the sun, Earth and moon align in the same plane

-- A total lunar eclipse is caused from the moon moving behind the Earth.

-- During a total lunar eclipse, Earth blocks all of the direct rays of the sun, but leaves the indirect rays, thus creating the red color.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments - I always love reading them! namaste!