Wednesday, July 4, 2007

July 4, 2007

Home again. We stopped at a Cabela's in Dundee, MI on the way back. Initially, Chris thought the diorama of animals on display in the middle of the store was fascinating. Grabbing my arm, he led me excitedly to view the arctic wolves displayed as if they were circling a giant beast and were trying to steal it from a huge polar bear. Twenty minutes later, however, his mood had taken a 180. "This place glorifies violence," he snapped. "I want to get out of here."

Meanwhile, I was on the hunt for a different kind of animal: a neck gaitor and some good mittens for next winter. I was disappointed to not find either. I was actually disappointed with the whole Cabela's experience. Sure, they have the standard camping gear, and lots of guns and fishing equipment. But as for good backcountry gear, there wasn't a lot of selection, and a lot of it looked like it came out of a JC Penny or L.L. Bean catalog. Aside from the expansive display of animals, which would be enough to impress even a PETA exec., I wasn't that taken with the place. Most of what I need I can find at Appalachian Outfitters, and at far more reasonable prices.

Another opinion that might get me yelled at, maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments - I always love reading them! namaste!