Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Gortex, Johnny Cash, Molly Bloom and Douglas Fir...all on tonight's Daily Dog!

Kathleen, an oh-too-kind fellow blogger who responds frequently to my posts has "tagged" me on a blog tag. Fun!

Here's how it works:

respond and rework
answer questions on your blog
replace one question
tag eight other people.

Honestly I'm gonna have a real hard time coming up with eight other people to tag. So, if I don't tag eight people, tag yourself!

I'm tagging the following bloggers:

Chris Miller


Joann Fortier

Robert Pope


1. What is your current obsession?
Besides dogs and trying to ensure I am on the line-up for a competitive team in the 2010 Midnight Run, I’m obsessed with the general fragile physics of things: how photography is really just manipulation of light; how water is so fragile that it takes the tiniest touch of my paddle to completely change direction when I’m out on my kayak.

A lake by my house where I go kayaking often

Water should be a model to remind us how one tiny action can change the momentum and direction of so many other things. Photography a reminder that all things are really reflections, not only of light, but of our own perceptions of them.


The moon in the clouds last weekend

Okay, heavy. Sorry.

2. Which item of clothing do you wear most?
During the spring and summer: basic $2 flip flops, my Mountain Hardware hiking shorts and tie-dye t-shirts.




During the fall and winter: my Gortex bibs from Cabela’s, and my cozy Columbia socks.





3. What's the funniest knock-knock joke you know?
I seriously know no jokes – only because I can’t remember them. If it weren’t for my blogs, I couldn’t remember yesterday, which is the way I like it.

4. Last thing you bought?
A diet coke – another obsession.

5. What are you listening to?
“What I Got” by Sublime




6. If you were a God or Goddess, who would you be?
Isis - Isis is also known as the goddess of simplicity, from whom all beginnings arose, and was the Lady of bread, of beer, and of green fields. Also one of my favorite Bob Dylan songs.

7. Favorite holiday spots?
Jim Warren’s Sled Dog Lodge on County Road 500 outside of Newberry, Michigan – 40+ Alaskan huskies, plenty of mushers and dog people to “talk dog” with for hours, good beer and a warm fire in the wood stove, countless acres of hardwood forests, superior snow and dogsledding trails, and so remote you can't even get a cell phone signal there!


8. List all the places you've traveled
I've backpacked and visited the following: Glacier National Park, Montana; Crater Lake National Park, Oregon; Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, Arizona; Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming; Badlands, South Dakota; Tucson, Arizona; Seattle, Washington; Los Angeles, CA; Boston, Massechusetts; Salt Lake City, Sioux City, Idaho Orlando, Amarillo, Omaha, Naples, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, I've been everywhere man...crossed the desert's bare, man.
I've breathed the mountain air, man.
Of travel I've had my share, man.
I've been everywhere.



9. Okay . . . what were you thinking just then?
Thinking about Sled Dog Lodge and how I miss last season and about how much I miss the wanderlust


10. Who's your hero/heroine
Gretel Ehrlich


11. First spring thing?
Trapsing through mud cleaning up the dog yard.


13. Favorite film?
American Beauty and Alice in Wonderland


14. Share some wisdom?
I have no wisdom. But Bob Dylan said, "Don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows," which seems like just about the wisest thing to me.

15. If you could be a tree, what tree would you be and why?
A Douglas Fir in Wyoming, so I could be home to Magpie and Raven



16. Fictitious character who made a lasting impression on you?
Holden from The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
and

Molly Bloom from Ulysses by James Joyce
"...I was a Flower of the mountain yes when I put the rose in my hair like the Andalusian girls used or shall I wear a red yes and how he kissed me under the Moorish wall and I thought well as well him as another and then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes. "

1 comment:

  1. WOW. WOW. WOW!!!!

    I just knew you'd come up with something incredibly poetic. I love your answers.

    I just love your comments about water and light. I'd say profound, not heavy.

    So, clearly, if I want to be a serious musher wannabe, I better get some Gortex bibs from Cabela's.

    Ha! Loved the cell phone reference!

    Great Johnny Cash nod, man!

    Just googled Gretel Ehrlich. Great choice. Clearly, you have a serious case of wanderlust.

    I sorry to say I've never ready Ulysses (and I even named my cat after him!). That Molly Bloom piece is sensational.

    You're a trooper to have made it through this meme. Next time I tag you, I promise it'll be easier!

    Very interesting--and I learned a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments - I always love reading them! namaste!