Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Reminiscence of a winter's heart

I had a fairly major surgery a week ago tomorrow, and have spent the better part of the last week sleeping. Yesterday was the first day I felt fairly normal in a week. I made it out to the kennel to see my four-legged kids, who seemed as happy to see me as I was to see them. It was a good day until, quite suddenly last night, I spiked a 101.3 temperature and was, literally, quaking with chills under several layers of clothes and blankets. Run-of-the-mill, post-op infection. I am back in bed, taking antibiotics and waiting for life to begin again.

In moments like these, it is sometimes difficult to remember that age-old adage: "This, too, shall pass."

Perhaps it was my febrile state that led me to reminiscing of things that bring me most joy in this world, trying to remind myself that this, too, shall pass. I know there are many who don't understand the love of this expensive sport. In my reminiscing, I stumbled on several videos I'd taken last season while running the trails surrounding Jim Warren's Sleddog Lodge.

The dogs are so much a part of my life and my joy. I feel so helpless this last week being cooped up inside, not spending time with them.

Funny, I wrote to my friend Jason: even in the heat of July, we reminisce about winter, training practically all the rest of the year for one or two or three big races. Ever wonder why we put so much stock in these relatively short claims of glory?

Because we have a winter's heart, and a love for the simple joys being behind a team of well-toned athletes cooking down a pristine hardwood trail covered in nature's glory.

Take a peek: click on the video below to see my six-dog team cooking down a beautiful, sunlit trail on a perfect winter day in the U.P.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, dear one. You do have to rest, more so that you think. I know it's so hard to that when you draw so much energy from your four-legged kids. But the sweeter you are to yourself, the faster you'll be back out there with them.

    Cheering for you and sending healing thoughts

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments - I always love reading them! namaste!