Thursday, August 27, 2009

update three, day seven in the hospital

Thank God for small victories!

I was able to eat a normal (but very small) meal and shower today for the first time since Saturday morning. It's amazing how these very small things can make you feel more human.

Kidney function continues to deteriorate, despite the above good things. Subsequently, I am retaining so much fluid, it's difficult to move or breathe. I joke and say I look like Patrick Star from Spongebob. I'm anemic and very easily exhausted, and my patience is wearing very thin with all of the dozens of physicians, respiratory therapists, nurses, and dietitians that parade in and out of here starting at 6 a.m.

There is no estimate of when I will get out of here. So I wait and try to heal.

1 comment:

  1. Shannon, I am here rooting for you and I'm positive that many, many others are too. I just did my own stint in the hospital as well, so I know the boredom and anxiety you must be feeling. I am so sorry that not all the news is good.

    Just try to keep your sense of humor, and keep celebrating the small things. You will be out of there before you know it.

    If you need any help at the kennel this fall - just the mundane chores, whatever you need - please do let me know. I know how hard it was to care for my own dogs following my hospital stay, and how much I appreciated the help of willing, cheerful people.

    Praying for a speedy recovery. Hang in there Shannon...

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments - I always love reading them! namaste!