Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Bounty of books and other things

I am a bookworm. Big surprise.

I moved to Wyoming in 1997 for a "summer job." When I decided spontaneously to stay, I asked my mother to ship some necessary items to me. I met her in Omaha, Nebraska with a Uhaul full of boxes full of, not clothes, gifts, trinkets or other items, but mostly books.

"Books?" she asked me over a telephone wire that stretched 2,000 miles. "Don't you want other things, like your bed sheets, sofa or something?"

Nope. I wanted my books.

All my life, I've had a love affair with books. The feel of them, the smell of them, the excitement of opening one for the first time and anticipating what's to come. I have the same thrill when I get a new notebook and open it to a clean, blue-lined page for the first time: anticipation of what I will write, what the pages will reveal. I guess I am a natural writer.

The best thing is combining my two obsessions: books on writing.

Everything's an Argument by Andrea A. Lunsford and John J. Ruszkiewicz

Two of the best books on writing ever written, in my opinion: Writing Down the Bones and An Old Friend From Far Away by Natalie Goldberg

On Writing by Stephen King

Favorite author, Milan Kundera's, The Art of the Novel

The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron

William Zinsser, Anne Lamott...countless books on the craft of writing. Countless books, period.

In fact, many of the boxes finding their way over to the new ranch are full of books. People have asked me why I need so many books, suggested I "pare down" my personal library,

Sadly, though, despite all the books and eight years of school to hone my craft, this is the most consistent place I write. I wonder who, if anyone, reads.

I am honored, also, to have accepted two job offers to teach writing again at the University of Akron and Brown Mackie College.

Preparing for reentering the world of academia has me giddy with excitement. I had a meeting yesterday which lasted several hours, and chatting with other like-minded people about authors, writing process, etc left me salivating for more.

It also enabled me to meet a very beautiful person.

Say hello to Auburn and her amazing husband, Chuck by visiting her page, Chuck's Circle of Love.

Auburn had my attention during introductions when she said she finished a Master of Fine Arts in Writing from the University of Michigan. Writing? Michigan? Two of my favorite things!

I believe this is the beginning of a great year.

I hope it is for you too. Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments - I always love reading them! namaste!