Monday, March 23, 2009

Karaoke at Frank's Place


Frank's Place in Akron

Yesterday was a special day. Not just because it was Chris's birthday.

Yesterday, we went out without the kids!

One of the beautiful things about being a freelance writer and working for myself is I can be with my kids. Elise attends preschool only twice a week for half day. I am home to pick Sophie up from school. I spend lots of time with the kids.

Lots of time.

So, when I have an occasion to escape for an evening, I jump on it. And Chris's birthday seemed like just the opportunity.

We connected with our friend, Tina, Chris's friend from high school for an evening out: first, to watch a performance of a choir directed by Chris and Tina's former director when they were in Madrigals. It was at Westminster Presbyterian Church, and I was distracted by the constantly-changing colors from the setting sun in the stained glass windows.





Then, we hit Frank's Place.

Frank's Place is a little piece of Akron, a dive, for all intents and purposes. It's small and quaint, decorated with Christmas lights throughout the entire year. There's a juke box, and on Sunday nights, karaoke.


A wall decorated with a taste of Akron at Frank's Place

For Tina and Chris, this was just the ticket after an evening remembering their days in Madrigals.



After catching up for awhile over a couple beers, they hit the microphone.


Tina singing, karaoke dude smiles for the shutter bug


Tina belts out "Big Horse and the Cherry Tree"

Then it was Chris's turn, "Blackbird" by the Beatles.





Happy Birthday, Chris!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments - I always love reading them! namaste!