Thursday, December 6, 2007

Dignity consists not in possessing honors, but in the consciousness that we deserve them. -- Aristotle

Lots of snow lately. I am disappointed I cannot be out in it more. I am wrapping up my final days in my job and slowly preparing for the trip of a lifetime.

I've been thinking a lot about dignity because I have allowed things, whether they be entities or particular people, to get me down. I have felt particularly de-valued lately from a multitude of things.

But last night I realized dignity doesn't come from what others value or recognize but from the regard I give to myself -- "the consciousness that I deserve honors." I know I've done my best in my job(s). Maybe there are disappointments, because I know things didn't turn out the way I wanted. Unfortunately, I don't think I've even held myself in the highest regard for my abilities and my confidence in those.

Now that winter is here, I'm scrambling to prepare for Christmas with my family, and then my long-awaited winter trek north. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments - I always love reading them! namaste!