Tuesday, December 25, 2007

If you're traveling in the north country

I step into the steaming tub. My body pulsates with the rise in temperature, capillaries opening like daffodils at Easter. I soak in steam. This will be my last night here, and I want to savor this heat, keep it in reserve, for tomorrow, I leave for a two week journey into cold.

Ten years ago, I walked brazenly into a Wyoming winter that engulfed me and changed my life. This time, I know what I’m getting into. And I have high hopes for winter again.

We guesstimated I've spent at least $600 on winter gear just for me for this trip. That's not including equipment for the dogs, food, etc. Over dinner dishes at my folks' house tonight, my mother wanted to know, simply, why.

"I don't understand why you would want to do such a thing," she said emphatically, referring to my winter camping trip, which I leave for tomorrow. Sleeping on a dogsled in the wilderness of the Upper Peninsula is clearly not her thing.

And, to be honest, I don't know if it's my thing either. But I'm about to find out.

I'm fully portable. My only Christmas gift from Chris was a power converter that plugs into the outlet in my truck. It charges my laptop, cell phone, ipod and even holds a USB port. I can now travel the country and write. As long as I have my truck! It's a beautiful thing!

And write I intend to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments - I always love reading them! namaste!