Sunday, May 30, 2010

"Simplify, simplify" - Henry David Thoreau

Lao-tzu, a great Taoist master of 6th century B.C. China said when we let go of what we think we are, we become what we might be. When we let go of what we think we have, we receive what we need.

"and she lets them come;
things disappear and she lets them go.
She has but doesn't possess"

It's funny, how we cling to things we think are ours. "Stuff" fills our lives to the brim. And yet, we don't really possess any of it. Even our houses, our cars, things we invest so much of our lives in - they're just things.

I've been letting go of a lot. Moving from the house I've lived in for the last six years has really enabled me to simplify, simplify!

And yet, moving brings up for me a lot of emotions I didn't foresee.

This has been the only home my youngest daughter and my Siberian, Jack, have ever know.


Baby Jack circa 4 months

Waking up to the fussing of my youngest in her bassinet in the very bedroom I type this post in. The excitement of owning our first home. The renovation projects! - so many memories.


Me and Elise, who was about a year old in this photo

We'll leave behind a few pets too, buried back in our little pet cemetery.

Oliver, the best black kitty ever, who was born on Friday, August 13th, 2000 and died in this house; Oliver is buried in our backyard.


Oliver, back, and Simon, front - two of the best black kitties ever

And Zero, Chris's 4 foot iguana is also buried back there, along with a few hamsters and Molly, the ferret.


Miss Molly, the smallest ferret

Letting go can be difficult, even though letting go opens up a whole new chapter - and one I have dreamed of for awhile.

If I'm being honest, I admit I get a little nervous. Leaving the familiar for unfamiliar territory.

Who, me? The adventurer? The one with the self-proclaimed wanderlust?

Yes, it's true.

But there will be many more things I will not miss about our current living situation.

We are fairly close to a large interstate - so close the constant hum of vehicles is a constant background noise. I won't miss this.

We (surprisingly to most) have neighbors fairly close. It will be nice to stretch out on seven acres.

The best part will be running dogs right out of the yard. Ohhhh, man! I can't WAIT for this fall, and it's only Memorial Day!

Enjoy the day - Namaste!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Lovely tribute to the most meaningful of what you'll leave behind. And, um, Jack as a 4-month old pup looks EXACTLY like Ginsberg....hmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments - I always love reading them! namaste!