Thursday, December 31, 2009

Dog power: thoughts on mushing, and bitter pills


Happy New Year from the Lazy Husky Ranch!

After some set backs that have had me quite depressed this week, I've had some time to reflect. This blog is about so much more than dogs. It's about life, adversity, perserverance. And it's about mushing.

Mushing is something that is in you. You either get it, or you don't; there's no in between. Marriages break up because of those who "get it" and those who "don't." Friendships change, lifestyles change, everything changes because of the passion for this sport. And, if you're reading this, I suspect it's in you too. And there's no changing that. No race can "qualify" that; no person can take that away.

I personally like having a race to train towards. It helps me have a goal and helps to focus my training with the dogs.

But it looks like I may forego all my plans for this season. The reasons for this are several, first and foremost, my health. I have recently realized I not taken the time to process everything that happened in September. I was so anxious to jump into fall training, I stifled or "compartmentalized" the pain and trauma I felt from my hospitalization.

So, at least for the time being, I am canceling plans for racing this season. Races will be there.

Instead, I'm hoping to have lots of sled time with my family. I plan to teach Sophie the fundamentals of dogsledding this winter.


Sophie ice skating on New Year's Eve

And I plan to heal finally from all that happened in September.

It's a bitter pill to swallow, I admit. But I think it's the right pill for now.

Besides....someone has to be here to care for puppies....

1 comment:

  1. Take care of you the puppies will take care of themselves.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments - I always love reading them! namaste!