Friday, January 1, 2010

Puppies!

Her belly ripples in tiny waves. Her ribs seem to jump. Tiny paws run inside. She sighs, then lays her soft head down on my hand. So patient.



It is day 64 of a gestation period that usually lasts 63 days. I thought pups were coming last night when she started panting at 1:30 a.m. I made some coffee and waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Finally, at 4:30 a.m., I came into bed. No puppies tonight, I thought.



Later that day, Sophie and I took some dogs out with the sled. As I loaded the others into the dog boxes, Gwennie actually ran to the door waiting to be loaded in her box too. She is an amazing dog who always gives 110% on the line and off.

Though disappointed to have made the decision to fore go my first race this season, I have to admit it was so nice going for a run and not thinking about how many miles we needed or if it was enough. We just went for fun.

As we drove home, giant heavy snowflakes began falling. We came home and made tuglines while watching eight inches of snow pile up outside.

Saturday, January 2, 2010, on the coldest, snowiest night so far this season, I awoke to Gwennie digging in her whelping box, panting heavily, her eyes dilated: sure signs of labor. I went on a coffee run, came home and waited. It wasn't long before the first pup popped out, a black and white female who sought her mother vigorously.



Soon there was another.


Resting before #5, a male, was born

And another.


Gwennie with #5, a male, in the foreground

And another!





12 hours and 8 puppies, two males and six females.

We are blessed. The Lazy Husky Ranch has just doubled in size :0)


Thank you, sweet Gwennie!



What a great start to 2010!

If you are interested in seeing a dog in labor, along with witnessing the birth of our puppies, please go here

2 comments:

  1. I am always in awe at the beauty of birth.

    Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to all!
    This was beautiful to see, and your Gwennie deserves a rest.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments - I always love reading them! namaste!